The building of Pico do Refúgio was initiated somewhere in between the 16th and 17th centuries. However the oldest official document is the chapel construction permit, dating from 1750.
Thanks to its location and fortress like structure it came to play an important role in the vigilance against corsairs and fortress for militias.
The property has been used for cultivating many things including oranges trees and tea. The old factory of “Ataíde” still exists.
The azorian painter and writer, Luís Bernardo Ataíde, used it as a country house and later it was the home and inspiration ground of the sculptress, Luísa Constantina.